G100: ``Business in the Information Age''
Schedule for G100: ``Business in the Information Age'' (May 21, 2000)
MS: Kenneth Morris and Alan Siegel, The Wall Street
Journal Guide to Understanding Money and Investing, Lightbulb
Packet: G100 Reading Packets I and II, from Mr. Copy, corner of 10th Street and Dunn, 334-2679. The packet is divided into sections corresponding to the class sessions.
The Eli Lilly annual report. I will hand this out.
- Instructor: Professor Eric Rasmusen. Office phone:
855-9219. Office address: BU 456. Email: [email protected]
Office Hours: Wednesday 2-4 p.m.
- Web: www.bus.indiana.edu/g570/_webg100/g100.htm.
- Lecture room: BU 321.
- Section: 4639. Lecture times: Tuesday and Thursday, 1:00-1:50 p.m.
- Discussion Sections:
- 4640 on Friday, 10:00-11:00, Room BU 327.
- 4641 on Friday, 11:15-12:05, Room BU 411.
- 4642 on Friday, 12:20-1:10, Room BU 411.
- Teaching assistant: Kenneth Lovik, [email protected]
- Week 1:
- 31 August, Tuesday. 1. Business Economics I: Supply and Demand
Website: The S+P 500.
- 2 September, Thursday. 2. Business Economics II: Markets
Website: Resources for Economists on the Internet (by Bill Goffe). This is the standard reference, and deservedly so--- everything is here, and well organized.
- 3 September, Friday, Discussion 1. Assignment 1 due. Pictures taken.
- Week 2
- 7 September, Tuesday. 3. Business Economics II: Economic Statistics
Website: GPO Gate, Catalog for Economic Report of the President, 1999
- 9 September, Thursday. 4. Information on the Internet: Government Data
Website: The Statistical Abstract of the U.S..
- 10 September, Friday, Discussion 2. Quiz 1.
- Week 3
- 14 September, Tuesday.
5. Business Economics III: The Health of the Economy
Website: The White House Economic Statistics Briefing Room, for quick graphs and summaries of macro statistics.
- 16 September, Thursday. 6. Library sources of information
Website: Indiana University Libraries Online Resources/WSJ and others.
We will meet in the Business/SPEA Library today, in the reference section.
- 17 September, Friday, Discussion 3. Assignment 2 due.
- Week 4
- 21 September, Tuesday.
7. The Legal Organization of Business
Website: The Chrysler Building, and information on New York tourist sites.
- 23 September, Thursday. 8. Business Ethics: Employee Behavior
Website: Newseek's Issikoff story on intern Lewinsky and President Clinton, from the Washington Post website. The Partnership and Adultery Case .
- 24 September, Friday, Discussion 4. Quiz 2.
- Week 5
- 28 September, Tuesday. 9. A Walk Through the Wall Street Journal I
Website: the Wall Street Journal text searcher.
- 30 September, Thursday.
10. A Walk Through the Wall Street Journal II
Website: Stockmaster.com site for graphing stocks.
- 1 October, Friday, Discussion 5. Assignment 3 due.
- Week 6
- 5 October, Tuesday.
11. Managerial Psychology
Websites: The Myers-Briggs personality test page, Keirsey's Web Test site, applications to negotiation, and the Intergalactic Explorer Personality Type Test.
- 7 October, Thursday. 12. Presenting Data.
Website: The Economic Chart Dispenser has Fed of St. Louis data in GIF charts.
- 8 October, Friday, Discussion 6. Nothing due.
- Week 7
- 12 October, Tuesday. 13. Marketing I: The Four P's.
Websites: Cyberatlas , which has Internet marketing data such as the number of users, demographics, regions, etc., and Autoweb, a car sales site.
- 14 October, Thursday. 14. Marketing II: Product, Place, and Promotion
Websites: Amazon.com Books! Earth's Biggest Bookstore and the Rasmusen site as an Amazon.com Associate.
- 15 October, Friday, Discussion 7. Quiz 3.
- Week 8
- 17 October, Sunday. Review session (optional), 3-4 p.m., the usual room.
- 19 October, Tuesday. Midterm Examination.
- 21 October, Thursday. 15. Marketing III: Price in an Oligopoly Simulation.
Website: An indefinitely repeated interactive version of the prisoner's dilemma at Bryn Mawr.Some notes on the Kleit simulation.
- 22 October, Friday, Discussion 8. Nothing due.
- Week 9
- 26 October, Tuesday.
16. Accounting I
Website: File Manager For Forms - IRS
Packet II readings begin.
- 28 October, Thursday.
17. Accounting II
Website: Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Home Page
- 29 October, Friday, Discussion 9. Assignment 4 due.
- Week 10
- 2 November, Tuesday. 18. Annual Reports
Website: Eli Lilly Homepage
- 4 November, Thursday. No Class.
- 5 November, Friday, Discussion 10. Quiz 4.
- Week 11
- 9 November, Tuesday. 19. Present Discounted Value.
Website: Bloomberg Online: Mortgage Calculator. Notes on Present Value and the Parable of the Talents
- 11 November, Thursday. 20. Money and Stocks
Website: The American Stock Exchange:WEBS securities to track foreign stock indices..
Reading: Packet II: Section 20, MS: 1-47.
- 12 November, Friday, Discussion 11. Quiz 5.
- Week 12
- 16 November, Tuesday. 21. Stocks and Bonds
Website: AF Best Newsletter
Reading: Packet II: Section 21, MS: 48-91.
- 18 November, Thursday. 22. Bonds and Mutual Funds
Website: Vanguard Bond Index Fund - Total Bond Market Portfolio Overview
Reading: Packet II: Section 22. MS: 92-123.
- 19 November, Friday,
Discussion 12. Assignment 5 due.
- Week 13
- 23 November, Tuesday. 23. Game Theory
Website: GAMES AND INFORMATION. Game Theory Notes
- 25 November, Thursday. Thanksgiving. Holiday.
- 26 November, Friday. Thanksgiving Holiday.
- Week 14
- 30 November, Tuesday. 24. Thinking and Planning. (formerly Session 11)
Website: The Seven Habits & The Thinking Process. The thinking test that is in your reading packet.
- 2 December, Thursday. 25. International Business.
Website: PWT database series retrieval, International Macro Data.
- 3 December, Friday, Discussion 13. Assignment 6 (oral reports) due. Tips On Giving Oral Reports
- Week 15
- 7 December, Tuesday. 26. Business and Government: Randall Tobias Discussion
Website: The City of Bloomington website.
- 9 December, Thursday. 27. Legal Information: The Dow Jones Case
Website: Cornell Supreme Court Decisions site, which has all the post-1990 opinions, and other good things.
- 10 December, Friday, Discussion 14. Assignment 6 (oral reports) due.
- Final Examination: Thursday, December 16, 2:45-4:45.
- Other Materials, Including Some Not Used This Semester
- Team Performance Feedback Form
- Course Comment Form
- The Banking and Money Multiplier Simulation
Return to the ``Business in the Information Age'' Home Page.
Send comments to Prof. Rasmusen
. Address of this page: Www.bus.indiana.edu/g570/_webg100/schedule.htm.