Notes on Jean Tirole, The Theory of Industrial Organization, 1988
30 November 2006
Here are notes I have used in teaching Tirole's I.O. book. They don't cover the entire book, but I put them here for my own future reference and in case they are useful to other people.
- Slides on Tirole, chapter 0 in powerpoint and my html handout
explaining the three theories of the firm.
- 5 pages of notes on Tirole's
authority model, which I went over in class.
- Notes and figures in pdf. <>
- Tirole problems-- 0.1 (p. 26), 0.2 (p. 41), 1.2 (p. 67) and
1.3 (p.68) (answers are at the back of
the chapters, or, in expanded detail written by me, here.).
- Tirole: Chapter 2. Sections 2.2. 2.3, 2.4, 2.5.
Here are my handwritten notes in pdf and notes on the Swan (1970) durability choice model in latex/pdf and
a diagram of an example of
monopoly quality being too high or too low.
- Handwritten notes on sections 3.1 and 3.2 of Tirole
- Latexed notes on Tirole, Chapter 4, in pdf.
- Latexed overheads on Tirole, Chapter 7 in pdf: horizontal differentiation and vertical differentiation and the Dixit-Stiglitz model