Travis Dawry @tdawry In spreadsheets you see the data but the code sits behind it.
In a programming language you see the code but the data sits behind it.
- 1 Acrobat
- 2 Antiporn Software
- 3 Antivirus Software
- 4 Email
- 5 Google
- 6 Hard Disk Space Analyzers
- 7 Software for Writing
- 8 Music software
- 9 OCR, processing image into Text
- 10 Operating Systems
- 11 Organization and Filing
- 12 Scheduling Meetings
- 13 Twitter
- 14 Video
- 15 Worse Is Better
- 5 Best Free PDF Readers and Viewers for Windows 10 in 20197th March 2019 by Manish Sahay is a good review. Adobe itself is an unpleasant company that writes bad software and has moved its pdf-writing software on line, probably to better rip off customers and harvest their information. Their reader is purposely limited and unsatisfactory and they write poor software anyway. I've tried Foxit and been disappointed for some reason, and PDF-XChange Editor was bad enough for some reason I forget that I decided it wasn't minimally satisfactory. Sumatra is very clean, but requires CTRL-mouse if you want to select text. So i have settled on STDU Viewer, at http://www.stdutility.com/stduviewer.html.
- NitroReader and MS Edge are treacherous when dealing with pdf forms, doing weird stuff to the contents. Do NOT use them.
04 Feb 2020 Jason Baker (Red Hat) Feed Seth Kenlon (Red Hat)
- Libreoffice seems to be good. It does a great job of printing *.docx files to *.pdf. It was easy to install and it's freeware, opensource.
- PDFEncrypt, a simple little opensource app to put a password on a pdf file.
Qustodio is what we've used.
I am trying out the free version of Bitdefender on the HP. Norton has a cheap first year and then a very high second year.
CloudHQ is good.
Google added an obnoxious "Related Searches" feature at the bottom of every search, which cuts out 1/4 of your searches on the page and gives you useless suggestions for different things to search for that are never relevant. To get your search screen real estate back, you can go to google.com, then to Settings at the bottom of the page, find Search Customization, I think it is, and then turn off the evil feature. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252374688
Hard Disk Space Analyzers
Wiztree is amazingly fast and good. It is free.
Software for Writing
- MathPix will turn pdf's into Latex and is very good.
Musescore is good freeware.
OCR, processing image into Text
- FreeOCR is quite acceptable. It loses paragraphing, but turns multi-page pdf into plain text. TechRadar has a good review of OCR software, paid and then free at the end.
- Rickdailytips on installing Linux.]
- The Downloads file is at c:/erasmuse-l/Downloads
- To refer to a file with spaces in its name in the command line, use double quotes, e.g. "My file is this.pdf", not My file is this.pdf.
- Large files need deleting via the command line, not in the usual file directory app. Type cmd into the upper right corner to get the black terminal box.
Organization and Filing
- I briefly found When2meet.com good. It is, utterly simple and effective, but as of January 2022 it requires all users to download obnoxious software, so it is bad. Doodle is too hard to use too. For meetings of 4 to 6 people, simply emailing them all with a list of meeting times is best. All the software available seems to be Overfeatured.
- Lily suggests Google Photo for cropping. video.
Converting from one video format to another
- HD Video Converter Factory, which only allow you 5 minute videos in the free version. But if it's conversion from phone video, that may be OK.
Worse Is Better
I wish android, facebook, Windows, etc. would realize that most of us like their product as it is, and any new feature is (a) almost surely undesirable, and (b) too distracting to be worth learning about evne if it had some slight positive value. Worse is better - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org